[Mgs] Bleeding brakes question...

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Fri Apr 26 07:42:25 MDT 2019

I can't see that it does as by the time you get to the pistons they are completely separate circuits, however perhaps one should still bleed the longest front circuit first (the difference between the rears is probably only a few inches in several feet).  I can't really see why it has to be done anyway.  Some places talk about air bubbles passing the shortest circuit when bleeding the longest, so if the shortest has already been done it could leave bubbles in there.  But that can happen regardless of which you are doing, and once you have bled the first circuit (longest or shortest) there shouldn't be any bubbles in that circuit.  It's perhaps more relevant to stop-start bleeding with the pedal where fluid and hence bubbles could be moving back and fore, less so with continuous pressure such as EeziBleed.

I've never done it, but I'd imagine pedal bleeding is a bit of a pain on a dual circuit as a 'good' circuit i.e. no air should be limiting how far the pedal can move when bleeding the one with air in.

There is also the question of the balance switch. I understand that on the earlier unboosted system the switch will always be tripped, and careful re-bleeding of first one circuit then another may be needed to centralise it again.  With the boosted system the switch can be partially unscrewed to stop it latching.  But then again will low-pressure bleeding such as with an EeziBleed on just a few psi be enough to cause the shuttle to move anyway?

      On vehicles with independent front and rear brake hydraulic circuits, is it still advisable to bleed the longest pipe run first? That is, does it matter if one bleeds the front brakes first?