[Mgs] Dash Light Problem 72 MGB

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sun Sep 2 07:54:31 MDT 2018

Having both fuel and temp gauges out does point to the common factor of the stabiliser, but there are tests to confirm this and other causes before replacing parts.

With both of them if you connect a good earth to the signal wire on the sender - green/black for the fuel gauge and green/blue for the temp, the gauge should go to full scale deflection.

If it does then certainly the temp sender is the culprit, but for the fuel sender you also need to check the earth at the sender as that can also be a cause.  If a good earth causes full scale, but bridging the earth and signal terminals (or the body and the signal terminal for 77 and later) on the sender doesn't, then the earth is at fault which pre-77 comes from a number-late bolt on the rear panel, 77 and later through the physical mountings to tank and body.  If both cause full scale then it's the sender.

But if none of these cause full scale then the problem lies closer to the gauge and stabiliser.

  I have power to the voltage stabilizer, so suspect the fuel gage sending unit is defective.  I have one to replace it.

  Not sure about the temperature gage, but do see where the wire attaches to the motor.