[Mgs] spark plug gap

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Tue May 1 07:59:29 MDT 2018

I always thought that the larger gap gave a bigger spark and was
better, as long as the system generated a spark capable of jumping
that far.  The gap was a compromise, big enough, but not so big that
you end up with no spark.  Modern cars are more capable of reliably
handling the larger gap. As for your MG, what coil are you
running?  If you have a higher voltage coil like a Lucas Sport Coil,
it can definitely handle the larger gap.  The fact that it is running
great means that whatever you have, it is doing fine and I would
leave it alone as long as you don't notice any problems, like a
misfire.  As usual, Barney has everything you ever wanted to know about this:

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/ignition/ig101.htm

-Steve T.

At 03:20 AM 5/1/2018, PaulHunt73 via Mgs wrote:
>More like the other way round - if at all - as the smaller gap was
>in use decades before emissions regulations were applied.

---