[Mgs] 1974 chrome bumper MGB ignition coil

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Jul 30 02:24:51 MDT 2018

1974 chrome bumper as in the title?

This tach should be the voltage triggered type (RVC on the dial) which could stop the engine if the trigger wire from coil to tachometer is being shorted to earth somewhere, which could be inside the tachometer (which would be a new one on me) or in the wiring.  If disconnecting the white/black wire at the tachometer allows the engine to run normally, then the tachometer is the problem.

If not then it could be the wire, so temporarily  disconnect the two white/blacks from the coil -ve and run a temporary wire from there to the points wire that comes out of the distributor.  If that allows the engine to run normally then the wire is shorting.

But given this seems to have electronic ignition then it's more likely that is the cause of the problem (consistently shutting off after 20-30 secs), so that needs to be substituted with something else, as your customer requested.  It would also be why you have extra wires at the distributor.

  If it doesn't aply to your car, then you neeed to fess up and tell us what kind of car you  have, so we don't have to keep guessing what you'r taliking about.