[Mgs] Soliciting advice on an electrical problem

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Jul 23 01:48:29 MDT 2018

>From what you say you are largely on your own, except to say that you need
12v at all the points shown on the standard wiring diagram for powering the
pump, ignition warning light, ignition and starter.  If you have a standard
harness it can't be that different from the factory diagrams.  If you have
the warning light and it cranked you know the ignition switch itself is OK.

Next thing is the pump, and that is a matter of locating the white wire to
the pump in the rear harness where the mass of connectors are in the engine
compartment, and seeing if you have 12v there from a white in the main
harness.  That should be in a 4-way bullet connector, two whites in the main
harness, one is a supply wire from the ignition switch and the other goes on
to the fusebox.

Once you have a pump, and it cranks, next thing is ignition.  Prior to 1973
another white wire came off the ignition switch to the tach, through the
pickup, and on to the coil +ve on another white.  So that is the next thing
to trace through.  As a 66 the tach will have a third white wire to power
its electronics, but that (and the accompanying earth) are not required to
start the engine.