[Mgs] Gas tank woes

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Tue Sep 26 15:54:05 MDT 2017

BTW, I have two fuel tanks from 1966 MGBs stacked in my carport right now.

One is from my daily driver of 30 years. Original tank, 230K miles, when removed I found the top was very rusty from a leaky trunk, but the inside is pristine when viewed through the sender hole. Drained fuel was clear — I poured it right into the filler of my other classic.

The other is from my low-mile, "good body" project. 59K on odometer, parked indoors since 1978 with approx. 4 gallons of gas in it (probably evaporated down from 6-8). Fuel smelled like a skunk, pink and foamy, didn’t seem like it would even ignite. Emptied and let dry out. Poured in a half gallon of fresh gas and swished it around — poured out a half gallon of brown sludge (like Mississippi mud or chocolate sauce). Decided to use the other tank.

I think the lesson is, keep fresh gas circulating. If you park it for a long period, drain it.

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB