[Mgs] MGB Carb Qs

Hans Duinhoven h.duinhoven at planet.nl
Wed Dec 27 11:54:56 MST 2017

Bent needles may indicate damaged jets.

Needle type is dependent of air filter type a.o.

Look for cross reference tables for best needle type to choose.

Also the HS4 carbs were produced with various changes over the years.

Hopefully your carbs still bear sub model indicators attached to the float
chambers, so you can dig deeper into the best combination tables.

An example like this in on my 1971 BGT, which is equipped with the latest
variant of the HS4 carb.

This carb is equipped with the "swing needle", which were common on the HIF4
carbs.

HS6 carbs were not the standard carb for the MGB (too big).

Stock air filters are carrying paper filters, which should be exchanged
every 8000 miles or so.

Pancake shaped airfilters like the K&N make maybe equipped with metal
filters, which can be washed clean.

These filters have less air restriction, so a different needle should be
chosen to give a proper mixture and engine operation.

Hope this helps a bit.

Good 2018!

Cheers,

Hans