[Mgs] MGA heat and sound insulation

dwoerpel at wi.net dwoerpel at wi.net
Wed Apr 19 17:09:24 MDT 2017

Great timing Robert!

I don't know about the 3 below but I
installed an Eastwood product 2 yrs. ago. I ripped it out today. Don't
know if I installed it incorrectly or what but the car was leaving
little puddles of a tar-like substance. At first I thought the
transmission tunnel rubber seals (elongated horseshoe shaped grommets
that seal the bottom of the tunnel and frame. Moss# 280-005, Buffer.)
were disintegrating after 30 yrs. Nope, the thermal barrier, I used, has
a tar layer sandwiched between the outer layers and wherever I had made
a cut when forming the underlayment this tar had become hot and oozed
out. What a mess. So I'm thinking of using just a heavy duty foil then
the new fake jute then maybe another layer of foil. Not worried about
noise but it does get a tad warm in the cockpit. Will look to see if the
Moss products have tar in them.

Good luck!

Dave W.

59 :{)

59 MGA
1500

Burlington WI

On 2017-04-04 13:17, Robert J. Guinness via Mgs
wrote:

> I need to reinstall carpeting in my MGA roadster to get rid
of the eroding jute underlayment. Moss is having a sale on the three
different underlayments listed below. Anyone have experience with any of
them? Any preferences? Any readily available patterns for cutting and
installation. Any tips and tricks for the novice? Thanks.

> Foil
Heatshield

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=135443
[5]