[Mgs] Alternator Conversion

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Apr 6 08:50:21 MDT 2017

Depends on the connections, and how they compare to the 3-prong original plug.

If it has a 3-prong socket, with two large spades and one standard spade, then it's probably plug-compatible.

But higher output alternators often have an output stud and you would need to connect that to the thick brown wire in your harness, and ideally the standard gauge brown as well if you have one.

The other question is whether it needs the ignition warning light for excitation as per the original, and hence has a spade for it, or whether it is self-exciting.  If it needs excitation, and doesn't get it, then you may well have to rev the engine to 3k or so to start it charging.  Once started it should then charge as normal down to about 600rpm, but you would lose the diagnostics of the ignition warning light.

More info on original types and wiring here http://www.mgb-stuff.org.uk/electricstext1.htm#types

  I have a Delco 63 amp alternator to install in a 1972 MGB.  I see lots of reference on-line but aren’t sure of the approach for installation.  Is there a best way?