[Mgs] it's not goodbye, but I'm not sure what it is

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Fri Jun 10 18:55:14 MDT 2016

Good. I have very little patience with various transplant schemes. I *like* the MG engine — it revs smoothly, it sounds great, it pulls from low RPM in any gear, it’s tough as nails — what’s not to like? It is not in any sense “tractor-like” — I utterly reject that canard. I suppose the poor souls suffering with the single-carb low compression smog engines might have a different response.

The MG gearbox is also a treat, even allowing for the occasional balky synchro. With OD, who needs a 5 speed?

It’s not like a 1500cc MX-5 engine is going to make it all that much faster. And you lose the soul.

Not to mention, you have now added electronics and fuel injection to the list of potential problems. And those can’t be fixed by the rough-and-ready methods previously employed.

Then there’s loading up your tool bag with metric wrenches…

Bah, humbug, I say. If you want a Miata, buy a Miata… as I observe some of us have done...

--
Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149