[Mgs] since we need traffic

dave n dave at ranteer.com
Mon Dec 5 17:59:21 MST 2016

first of all, hello to Richard Lindsay.  good to see you posting again.

after my MGA sat neglected for a few months (LCOS??) the carbs leaked badly.  I took them apart, cleaned them, and was going to do the rebuild myself, except we could not get the throttle shaft bushings in right.  so I sent them off, and eventually they returned.

while I was there, replaced the freeze plugs/casting seals in the side of the engine.  that took 3 tries to get right!  also replaced the oil filter.  this is a 56.  it has the unique “side draft” oil filter container.  I couldn’t bear to replace it with a spin on; its too cool.  but it is truly awful to change the filter.  first time I cranked up the engine oil went everywhere as I hadn’t tightened that bottom nut sufficiently.  second time there was still some seepage.  third time seemed good.  drove the car around the block, taking a few extra blocks in the process.  life is good!!!

a few days later I took it out again.  this time I noticed there was oil everywhere, in the ally, in the driveway, on the garage floor.  oh dear!!

now its waiting its turn on the lift as I finish another car.  1967 Datsun Roadster.  for those of you who know the cars, its an early low windshield car.  had to redo the rear brakes, and realized just how dirty etc., the rear axle and suspension were.  they all came out!  I’ve finished up the cleaning, wire wheeling, power washing, and painting.  the rear end and most of the suspension is back in.  just have to finish up one shock, the hand brake, and bleed.  thank goodness I have speed bleeders!