[Mgs] 1954 MG TF Robbins Top Installation

Donald Joseph Toy dontoy at comcast.net
Mon Jul 13 15:18:55 MDT 2015

Listers,
I could use a little advice. I am in the process of installing a new Robbins top on my 1954 TF. I recovered the header rail and it went smoothly. I added a modern weatherstrip under the vinyl for additional weather protection (the MG hasn’t seen rain in 40 years). The problem I am having is since Robbins tops come with no instructions and not much in the way of installation bits I was wondering how everyone else makes the attachment around the back wooden strips. The last top was simply stapled onto the wooden strips. I have attached it once and it seems I have more material on one side and it’s really going to be a stretch to get enough to make it far enough to get under the finishing strip.I did read that some people were going to Home Depot and picking up a snap kit and installing snaps along the wood. With a new top I was hoping for a much better fit any it looks like I’m going to get. I have made sure that I marker the middle of the top and the car at both locations front and back. Any tips would be deeply appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Donald Joseph Toy
dontoy at comcast.net
“all great men are dead…and I’m not feeling well"