[Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

Clayton Kirkwood crk at godblessthe.us
Fri Jul 3 16:17:23 MDT 2015

The car’s been running for years. What started all of this is at high highway speeds, I’d get a bit of shimmy and knocking. In the Land Rover West Coast list, I got infected with Nigel’s disease, whereby if I have a problem and go to fix it, another problem presents itself ad infinitum. So I took the knock off wire wheels off and bought a complete suspension kit from Moss. To put some of the new parts on, I had to remove the hub (specifically for the new oil seal). In doing that, one hub came off with both bearings attached to the hub with the spacer inside flopping around. This is the side the machinist pressed the bearings in until the hit the “supposed” shoulder inside the hub. After he was done, the inner spacer still flopped around. The other hub came off with the inner bearing staying with the spindle. He started to press this inner bearing back in, but it was sloppy and kind of slipped in, and therefore I have to buy a new hub and bits. The manual says that the bearing may not come out with the hub. It also says that the bearings shouldn’t be removed unless absolutely necessary as it causes wear as the bearing come in and out. In the process, I found that neither front brake caliper seemed to work: the pistons wouldn’t move manually and trying to move them deeper was too difficult. The whole cylinder looked kind of welded to the piston, the disk looked like it hadn’t seen action on either side. I then also measured the thickness and it is under spec, so new parts all around for brakes. Then the top and bottom swivels weren’t wide enough, when trying to press out those bearing, so let’s buy some really expensive swivels. Nigel’s disease: find one problem and then find more, and more…

Clayton