[Mgs] follow up on mga 1622 suspension issues

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Fri Jul 3 15:41:11 MDT 2015

As requested, checking in.

The MGA Twin Cam cars and the "Deluxe" cars  with pin drive steel
wheels and Dunlop all wheel disc brakes use tapered rolller bearings
up front and do require shims.

The MGA 1500, 1600 and 1600-MK-II with Lockheed brakes all use ball
bearings in the front hubs.  These do not use shims.  Distance
between shoulders in the rotating hub is eactly same as length of the
inner race spacer.  This holds inner and outer bearing races exactly
same distance apart when the spindle nut is tight.  Internal bearing
clearance is then a function of quality of construction of the ball
bearings.  If the bearings are loose they need to be replaced.  If
the outer races get loose in the rotating hub thebn the hub needs to
be replaced.  If wear in the hub bore is not too bad, you might set
the bearings into the hub with Loctite 620 bearing set adhesive.  The
adhesive may require heat for future disassembly.

With inner race spacer in place, and both bearings pressed in with
outer races firmly against the hub shoulders, the inner races should
touch the spacer.  Since there is a bit of internal clearance in the
bearings, the spacer may move around.  If you squeeze the inner races
together with the spacer, this shoud hold the spacer in
suspension.  If there is clearance between inner races and the spacer
when pressed together, then there is a mismatch of parts (spacer
length not matching distance between shoulders of the hub).

I don't have parts in hand to measure at the moment.  Perhaps someone
can measure and post length of the inner race spacer for reference.

Barney (in Utah today).