[Mgs] MGA Guru on the Gulf Coast

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Sun Dec 20 20:44:52 MST 2015

> On Dec 20, 2015, at 3:31 PM, Barney Gaylord via Mgs <mgs at autox.team.net> wrote:
>
> Wondering if anyone needs any help with an ailing MG?  We tend to fix things as we pass.  Otherwise we just like to visit interesting cars.

I’d take you up on that if you were hear in the snowy region of the northwest. But since you aren’t crazy, I’ll use a coworker instead.

I am at the “starting to re-assemble” stage of a complete front suspension tear-down. I had everything apart in a couple days, but the frame itself was filthy and a few of the bushings were beyond my persuasive capabilities. So I took them to the local parts store trusted by all the wheat farmers in the area for cleaning and that last bit of tearing apart.

The subframe came back nice and clean and is now a shiny black after a couple days carefully painting with POR-15. Unfortunately, the first words from the parts guy when I came in to claim them was “was this car in an accident?” I would have been surprised if it wasn’t for the painter telling me “this car was in an accident” just a few years before.

One of the swivel arms for the lower wishbones had a healthy kink to it. The new part is cheap enough, but the order will have to wait for the new year. But with all new bushings, new swing arms, new wheel bearings, and new steering ball ends, I expect that the odd vague unsettled feeling I was experiencing for the past couple summers will be gone. I’m looking forward to it. The shocks are from World Wide Auto Parts, so they can stay.

--
Aaron