[Mgs] alternator wiring quick question

dave willner davewillner at pa.net
Wed Aug 12 18:25:46 MDT 2015

I just got my car back from a getting a new clutch and hydraulics and I had a problem with either the temp sensor or the thermostat, no reading on gauge and ran very rough under load, just replaced both and all is well again. When I got things put back together I noticed that both harnesses that go to the back of the alternator were off. I got the three prong plug back on, the temp sensor lead and the oil press transmitter lead all put back on ok.  But there’s a single heavy brown positive lead that has a large double black connector (made for two heavy wire leads) but only has one female connector in it? Where does this need to go, I’ve heard about the fact the older 5 pin alternators are obsolete and they’re all now 3 pin? What do I do with the brown lead?  Thanks for the help

Dave Willner
Stroudsburg, PA
59 TR3A BRG
70 MGB BRG