[Mgs] Fuel starvation issues (or at least I think it is)

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Sun Sep 14 09:21:00 MDT 2014

I don't know what it is, but every message I send to the list from my
Mac or iPhone get eaten by Mark's defang script. So I'm sending this
message old-school, using an ancient unix shell program. Hopefully it
works. The frustrating part is that only I know that the whole message
made it through.

When I last successfully wrote, I said I would check at the pump. I
did, and got 16oz in about a minute (7.5ga/hr) at the pump. That's not
great, but a lot better than the 2:30 it took to fill the same cup at
the carbs. I removed the rubber hose for the fuel filter/carbs and
blew out the line forward into a old water bottle... didn't see any
sediment of note, but once done, I got better numbers at the carb.
5ga/hr. I'm reasonably satisfied the fuel line isn't the problem.
FWIW, there was no difference is the fuel cap was on or off.

So I went ahead and took the suggestions to blow air backwards into
the tank (with the cap off!). That did it. I now fill a 16oz cup in
about 20 seconds. That's right close to the rated capacity of the
pump, so it's pretty clear I've got tank sediment.

I see moss sells a Canadian made (using US Steel) nickle-plated repro
tank that doesn't require prep or paint for less than $200 for 70-75
model years. I have a '75.  Anybody have experience with these tanks?
At that price it might be  worth it to me to avoid the hassle of
cleaning and reselling mine.

If you got this far, the whole message made it to you this time.