[Mgs] Starting Issues

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Jun 16 01:51:26 MDT 2014

You will have to track the voltage through the circuit from the key via the
relay to the starter solenoid.  There are no fuses involved in cranking or
running the engine.

Do you have an ignition warning light?  If so does that dim right down when
you get the click?  If so then either battery, solenoid, or engine earth
strap connections are bad.

If that stays bright then as well as the relay making a click as it operate
the solenoid makes a clonk.  Normally you can't hear them as the solenoid
drowns out the relay and the motor drowns out the solenoid.  So first
determine whether it is the relay or the solenoid you can hear.  They are
quite different but if you haven't heard them before, particularly being on
the 'wrong' side of the car (I presume) when you turn the key, they could be
confused.  Have someone turn the key while you listen and feel from the
relay (on the inner wing by the fusebox) side.

If you can hear the solenoid clonk then either it's contacts are bad, or the
motor itself has failed in some way.

If it's the relay and not the solenoid then test the four connections on the
relay while the key is turned to crank.  You should have 12v on the
white/red, brown and brown/white and 0v on the black.

If you have that then the problem lies with the solenoid or the connections
to it.  Test the connections at the solenoid for voltage.  If you have 12v
getting onto the solenoid spade from the white/brown then the solenoid is
bad.

If you have 12v on the brown but not the brown/white then the relay is bad.

If you don't have 12v on the brown then the connection back towards the
solenoid is bad, but if the previous tests are good that is unlikely.