[Mgs] H2O Pulley

Richard Ewald richard.ewald at gmail.com
Sun Jun 8 21:00:23 MDT 2014

An easy way to get pulleys on the water pump flange is to take a spare bolt of
the correct size and thread and chop the head off. Screw it into one of the
correct holes and then thread the pulley etc onto the flange. Start the other
bolts then unscrew the stud and install the 4th bolt.

Sent from my iPhone

> On Jun 7, 2014, at 1:38, "PaulHunt73" <paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com> wrote:
>
> Can't help on the pulley, except to say that doing a trial fit of the fan
belt will tell you which way round it goes, as with two different sizes the
wrong one, when it is in line with the crank and alternator pulleys, will
either be too short or too long.  But I was under the impression that all the
pulleys were one-piece, regardless of how many 'slots' they had.

> The pump should have a flange with perhaps eight tapped holes on the face,
four at one distance from the centre and four at another.  I've just changed
my water pump and the pulley simply fits over the flange such that you can see
the four appropriate (probably the outer ones) holes are visible through the
pulley holes, I just positioned the flange with one of the holes at the top,
then fitted the pulley over it also with one of the holes at the top. If you
don't get it exact it should be close enough to get a small probe through both
holes to line them up for the bolts.  My pulley say on the flange quite
happily, while I offered-up the fan with bolts, locktabs, washers, spaces, and
rubber grommets (for metal fans).  If your is supposed to be multi-part then
you may have to fit the pulley over the fan bolts and get the alignment of the
top bolt with a top hole as close as possible as you bring the fan etc. to the
flange. If you have a long-nosed pump i.e. a deep pulley it might be tricky
getting fingers in the back to hold the pump still while you turn the fan etc.
to find the holes.  If your pump has a drain hole underneath you might be able
to press a soft drift up through there to hold the shaft while you do it.

> PaulH.

Does