[Mgs] Brake Caliper Problem

Matthew Milkevitch mmilkevitch at yahoo.com
Thu Jul 31 15:35:45 MDT 2014

Dear Listers:

I apologize for not sending an update.  I was working outside
all day, doing some site work for a new garage on my property.

Here is an
update:

1) Thinking the brake disc was "cocked" a little due to something
between the disc and hub,  I disassembled the offending side.  I inspected the
hub and there was some corrosion on the mating surface with the brake disc.  I
buzzed this off with my whizzer and 3M conditioning disc.  There wasn't very
much corrosion present.

2) I reassembled everything.  However I did notice
one wheel bearing shim was in the wrong place.  It was between the outer nut
and the outer bearing.  I put it where it should be, tightened it up and
checked the end float.  The wheel spun freely and there was no "clunk" when
pulling on the hub.

3) After the caliper and pads were re-installed, the
condition did not improve noticeably.  I was still getting some drag and the
LH side did not rotate like the RH side.

4)  I went for about a 5 mile ride,
and when I brought the car home I jacked up the front end and checked how each
front wheel turned.  They are still not rotating exactly the same but the
dragging side is much improved.  I would say there is a very small amount of
drag present now.

I think this is as good as it gets.  A couple of listers
were pointing out that I was probably looking for perfection, and I guess I
was.  I realize now that such perfection is not possible.  Anyhow, lesson
learned.

Thanks for all who responded with advice.  I appreciate all the
information.  Now it's time to adjust those rear brakes!!

Best Regards
Matt
Milkevitch
1974 MGB-GT