[Mgs] another oil question? really?

gordies garage mg_garage at comcast.net
Tue Jul 8 04:52:43 MDT 2014

> And I doubt that an engine that burns regular oil would burn less if
> switched to synthetic oil. A higher viscosity may help it burn a little
> less. Maybe.
>
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC

Burning, yes, but, could a synthetic prevent an engine from leaking as much?
Clearly an MGA engine is going to leak a bit from the rear main where there
is no seal, but do synthetics have any "swelling agent" to help seal
elsewhere?  Thirty years ago, synth was thought to cause leakage from the
seals, but that problem has been corrected (if it even existed).

Gordie
'62 MGA