[Mgs] [mgacars] RE: testing a generator from a 62 mga

Barney Gaylord barneymg at mgaguru.com
Sun Jan 26 20:47:42 MST 2014

Clayton,

Most likely a failure of the control box caused the generator to
overcharge at too high voltage, resulting in melt down of the
armature.  Melted soder in the commutator is "dead" giveaway of this
problem.  Definitely check operation of the control box before
putting the rebuilt generator back into service.  It is bad enough
the a faulty $40 control box will take out a perfectly good $100
generator.  It is really embarrasing if it happens the second time
because the faulty control box was not replaced.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MHA with an attitude
http://MGAguru.com