[Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor

Barrie Robinson barrie at look.ca
Wed Jan 1 10:02:54 MST 2014

Just as a comparison !  In the 70's I sold Queen's University
(|Canada) a string of 8 disc drives and controller which needed an
air conditioned raised floor, each the size of a modern day washing
machine, at around $2,500 per month on a 48 month contract.  Total
storage was about 30 Mbytes.   I just bought 32Gbytes for $32 cash !!

At 05:06 PM 31/12/2013 -0600, Dave wrote:
>Charlie Brown's best friend.  is he on TV tonite?
>
>-----Original Message----- From: FrankK Sent: Tuesday, December 31,
>2013 1:58 PM To: Dave ; MG List Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor
>Isn't that Charley Brown's dog?
>-----Original Message----- From: Dave Sent: Tuesday, December 31,
>2013 12:20 PM To: mgs at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Mgs] [Mg-t] Distributor
>very well said.  let's get together on this!  who knows linux?
>
>-----Original Message----- From: rmort at bezeqint.net Sent: Tuesday,
>December 31, 2013 1:50 AM To: mgs at autox.team.net Subject: Re: [Mgs]
>[Mg-t] Distributor
>I'm not convinced that the advent of black box solid state
>electronics will mark the end of the classic car era. Sure, the
>custom, manufacturer correct parts will become NLA, and these type
>of electronics are basically unserviceable once they go.
>But consider just how much computing power you can get today in a
>form factor the size of, say, a phone, and compare that to what was
>possible even five years ago.
>It's not too far fetched to start to create a programmable
>aftermarket 'universal car computer'. All you would need to
>fabricate are the proper wiring connectors for your specific car.
>The computer would have programmable software modules for any
>automotive system that might be computer controlled (from ignition
>to entertainment, and everything in between), and you would update
>it with the software profile of your specific car.
>Ideally, it would be open source and highly configurable, so that
>not only could you precisely match the specs of the original
>computer, but you could also customize as well - modify engine
>controls to better match a no-longer-stock engine, for example.
>
>Even the really complex electronics of, say, a Hybrid Lexus, are
>just sensors and software in the end. Getting the manufacturers on
>board would help in creating the software profile for specific cars,
>but it wouldn't truly be necessary.
>If the software was reasonably well designed, a basic understanding
>of the required functions should be enough to backwards engineer the
>programming for any given model. And of course, you only have to do
>each model once. Once somebody has figured it out, sharing the
>programming is as easy as downloading a file from the internet.
>
>There will probably be a cottage industry of software mods as well,
>like the 'go-faster' chips you can buy in the magazines, only far
>more sophisticated and customizable.
>
>Hmm, I think I may have just found my million-dollar-idea...

Regards,
Barrie

Barrie Robinson
MGB GT V8 in concours condition
Aston Martin DB 2/4 MkII under restoration
www.AMFClub.com
www.britcot.com
www.vectisgroup.ca
barrie at look.ca