[Mgs] Goodbye Peter Egan

Max Heim mvheim at sonic.net
Wed Sep 4 10:41:16 MDT 2013

I was skeptical when R&T moved to Detroit and completely revamped the layout
and features -- I too thought they had gone terminally trendy. But actually,
now that I'm used to the look, I think it's a better magazine now than it
was a couple of years ago, when it seemed pretty tired. Egan will be sorely
missed, however.

It was sad when they stopped covering F1, but really, with their lead times,
it was ancient history by the time it was published, and couldn't compete in
the age of live Speedvision and streaming web video. I wish I could find
that level of in-depth insider reporting somewhere, though -- F1 websites
seem to be all gossip, snarkiness, and uninformative driver interviews. It
was a remarkable circumstance to have an actual team owner (Walker) -- and
one who knew absolutely everybody -- providing candid race reports. We'll
never see that again.

I couldn't stand C&D after the mid-seventies -- the cigar-chomping machismo
attitude was so juvenile. Even Car Craft ("Loud. Fast. Real.") is more
tolerable.

--

Max Heim
'66 MGB GHN3L76149