[Mgs] The End of Car Culture

Rick Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Fri Oct 25 07:01:04 MDT 2013

Joining the thread late, but I must concur. As some of you know, I have a number of cars, including two Ferraris. They are both from the Enzo-era and have minimal electronics (ignition only).

I recently was tempted to 'upgrade' from my '85 Testarossa in favor of a 360 Modena or perhaps even a 430. I then spent a weekend working on my friend's '89 Mondial T. Its a 2+2 Ferrari with the 348 drivetrain. And I know these words and numbers mean little to anyone who isn't familiar with these cars - and it doesn't matter. What does matter is that the Mondial T / 348 starting in 1989, changed from mechanical systems to electronic systems.B

Now I like electrons as much as the next guy but the circuits they run in are another issue. The Mondial T I referenced was running terribly when it arrived at my garage. One bank of the engine was buggered. Turned out to be a failed MAF (Mass Air Flow) sensor. And if this were a Honda, a new MAF would probably be $100 at O'Reilly's Autoparts. But no. The Ferrari part is NLA and the used part, if you can find one, is over $600 plus shipping from Europe.

The short story on this car is that I opened the MAF and found the problem to be corrosion in the A/F ratio potentiometer. I cleaned it and lubricated it with 'tuner cleaner' (Remember when TVs had 'tuners'?) and B the MAF once again worked. If the problem had been the 'hot wire' or something less simple than crud in a pot, we would have been hosed.

So the reason for the story is to state that this experience told me to stick with my old-school cars. I mean, with a limited production car like a Ferrari 430, who's to say unique parts will remain available? What do you have when someday you push the 'Start' button and nothing happens? B Can you say $100k parts car?

On the parallel topic of advertising; almost nothing is said about the machine we call a car. Everything seems to be about the fluff. Bluetooth and iPhone interface my a$$. And how does selectable mood lighting affect handling?B

I guess a plus for incompetent drivers is that in a new car one can go into a turn at 20 over the limit, texting and sipping a latte, and probably survive it. Sit down in my 308GTB. And with a four-pack of Webers it says, "I'm going to kill you. Now try to stop me!" I like that.

Okay, rant over. I'll go quietly back to my cage now.

-rickB