[Mgs] Failed ignition lock in '70 B.

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sat Nov 30 02:19:22 MST 2013

Surely the key that operated steering locks never opened any other locks,
it's several times bigger for a start and a completely different design.

But I'm confused. You say:

"Everything is working fine now.  The shaft that comes though the lock must
not be in the right place any longer."

The first statement says you have fixed it, the second implies there is
still a problem.

If the key isn't turning it's the key/lock combination that is almost
certainly the problem, rarely the switch.  If that turns OK when removed
from the lock, but the lock is still not turning, then definitely so.  In
which case unless you know the key number and can get a replacement you have
very little option but to replace the lock and the key.  Even with a new key
if it is the lock that is worn a new key may not help.  Another option is
possibly to dismantle the lock and disable the tumblers, if you don't mind
being anything being able to turn it.  But I can only imagine that being
considered if originality is your overriding concern.  But having gone that
far - if it's possible - then a locksmith may well be able to replace the
tumblers so suit your existing key.