[Mgs] Mgs Digest, Vol 78, Issue 22

Glenn Schnittke g.schnittke at comcast.net
Mon Nov 25 20:31:43 MST 2013

Mark,

If I recall *most* of the springs and pips at the end of the shaft are
interchangeable between the marques, but don't hold me to that. It may
boil down to the length of the spring. If you can find a used whole
switch you can transfer the parts. I'd recommend against tapping it and
going to a grub screw. That would be silly.

As far as the valve goes, I found a trick at the Chicagoland MG Club
website about taking a new valve apart and adding a washer under a
grommet and I did it and it helped considerably in a former car and
never leaked. I don't remember the exact gag right now, but it does
increase waterflow through the valve and did not leak when I was done.
It does involve voiding the warranty.

At the start of winter and spring I change the setting on the heater
switch from one side to the other and go to the valve and physically
take it to the end of its travel and wire it into place. It ain't a
Honda. Still doesn't do me any good. I still freeze my butt off on the
way home from work all winter. In the summer I put the top down or top
up and rear window zipped down. You can put your top down with a
sawzall,  but putting it back up might be a job.

Glenn