[Mgs] MG2013 - Oregon

David Councill dcouncill at karamursel.org
Sat May 25 13:31:45 MDT 2013

The odds are fairly good that I will attend the MG2013 car show in Oregon as
I am now moving to the adjacent state of Washington and will only be maybe
450 miles away. I have a few questions but I need to put in a bit of context
first. I have owned several MGBs and MGBGTs almost continuously over the
past 37 years. They have proven to be economical and fun vehicles to drive.
On the car show side, I have had some limited exposure. I attended the
Colorado Conclave British car show once about 10-12 years ago and have been
to the Portland (Oregon) British Field Meet twice over the past five years,
all as an observer (and to buy car parts). I have never put a car in a car
show, although people have asked me about it - my cars have always been to
drive. Technically, there isn't anything really show worthy about them, they
are mostly kept original and not necessarily pretty. As this is a NAMGBR
event, I would guess that there could be hundreds  (??) of cars, all MGBs
(GTs and Midgets?). I am looking for some insights from those who have been
to these events in the past relative to some of my many questions below?

What would be included in the $100 registration besides 1 car and two
people? Is there a charge just for observers? (I ask because at the Portland
meet, there is a charge for attendees such that I am probably better off
going in with a car plus two - me and my son).

When are the swap meet events typically held since I'd mostly be looking for
parts?

And I have noticed that some people sell or try to sell their cars at these
meets. Would MG2013 be a good place to sell a car to get a good sell price?
This I ask because I am moving into a smaller house/lot in Washington since
my kids have grown up and left. I have 3 MGs currently plus my son has 2 for
restoration so I am thinking about thinning it out a bit. In particular, I
have a 1967 BGT mostly original including very faded paint, restored
interior, strong original engine/drive train that I have been thinking of
selling (but may change my mind). It is hard to say its value using the
recently posted link from Don but if I could get at least $3500 USD for it,
I'd probably sell it right away, but the lower the price under that, the
greater the reluctance to part with it. I just have too many cars right now,
it is hard to truly enjoy all of them although that will change when I am a
bit further away from where I work.

David Councill

64 B

67 BGT