[Mgs] Fw: float & aircare

mgbob at juno.com mgbob at juno.com
Fri May 24 06:06:44 MDT 2013

   In mid 1980s, I had a 1975 MGB with the Stromberg, but no catalyst.
   For it to pass emissions testing in Connecticut required careful tweaking.
The settings on the label did not suffice.
   Bob Wanta, a name that may be remembered by some long- time readers, would
poke the sensor of his tester into the tailpipe and work with mixture and
timing until emissions were barely within emissions requirements.
   Then ,with bonnet propped open several inches for additional cooling, I
would drive gently to the testing station. There, if waiting in line, it was
necessary to shut the engine off and on to keep its coolant temp about where
it was when Wanta got it within specs.   Hotter or cooler, it was out of
spec.
   Once through the test, it was a gentle drive back to the shop to adjust so
engine would run properly. The mixture was very lean, and the spark plugs
would show it. Wanta also told me to fill with 91 or 93 octane fuel the two
tanks before testing.
   You might find that the label specs do not get your engine to pass either.
Try his method, and good luck.
Bob