[Mgs] Fan Relay fried...

Paul Root ptrmgb at gmail.com
Tue May 21 05:14:06 MDT 2013

The point of the relay is to not pass more power than necessary through the
switch that controls the equipment. It's to save the switch.

You don't say which wire it is.

I'm going to guess that the wire was frayed and came in contact with a
ground.

On May 20, 2013, at 10:48 PM, Andrew B. Lundgren wrote:

> One email per question is a good idea right?  ;)
>
> My '78 has been retro fitted with a single pull electric fan with a temp
sensor against the radiator.

> I have discovered that the relay controlling the fan fried.  It still
functions, but the wire coming out of the bottom is nearly burned off.  (Won't
be driving until this is resolved.)

> The first symptom of the problem was the engined died when the cooling fan
came on.  While investigating why there was no power going to the coil, I
found that by tugging on the harness the power came back on.  I heard
electrical sparks while tugging and my son noticed smoke coming off of the fan
relay.