[Mgs] Floating axle hub seals leaking

Andrew B. Lundgren lundgren at byu.net
Mon May 20 21:41:07 MDT 2013

While investigating the rear brakes on my new to me '78 B, I discovered
that the rear castle nuts are loose (finger tight would be an
overstatement...) and that oil has leaked out onto the shoes.

One of the screws holding the drum on was missing, two were stripped so
badly that if they had been tightened at all then I would have had to
drill them out and the last screw as damaged, though much less. One
rebound strap is also torn out.

The drums look like they are in good shape and the brake pistons expand
without issue.

I am expecting to replace the seals, the drum screws, the shoes and the
rebound straps.  I am also considering doing the rear bearing since I am
in there anyway.  Anything else I should do while I have it open?

--
Andrew