[Mgs] Starter update and another question

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Mon Mar 25 03:29:02 MDT 2013

"A test at Autozone determined that the starter was locked up,"

FWIW, that doesn't agree with your test earlier that showed a very low
current when the starter was energised.  Unless by 'locked up' they mean
'isn't working'.  'Locked up' to me is a mechanical problem where the
current is trying to turn the motor but is physically prevented from doing
so.  That would result in a very high current.

On an American 74 the side marker lights come on with the parking lights.
Do you have any instrument lights?  If they've stopped working as well then
it's probably the main lighting switch or the red/green wire fallen off it.

If the instrument lights still work then check the top two fuses in the fuse
box.  There should be the same red/green wire feeding the front of one of
those, and that should have 12v on it with the main lighting switch in the
parking light position.  Current then goes through the top two fuses (there
is a link between the fronts of those two) to red wires at the back, one
wire to each corner, one fuse per side.