[Mgs] Adding oil to steering rack while I have the radiator out

Steven Trovato strovato at optonline.net
Sat Jun 29 21:48:33 MDT 2013

On my Magnette and MGA, when I have the car on jack stands I can push
on the tires and move the rack from full left to full right and back
again with relative ease.  When I do this, I can hear the fluid run
from one side to the other.  I am therefore quite certain that the
oil is getting everywhere and not just sitting in the bottom of the
gaiter.  This tells me that there is enough oil in there and I have
no reason to mess around with trying to add more.  I think that after
the initial fill, the oil should not go anywhere.  If it does,
something is leaking, with the gaiters being the prime suspects.

-Steve Trovato
strovato at optonline.net