[Mgs] Wiring in Distributor

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sun Jul 28 03:24:45 MDT 2013

Exactly the same as before.  If you have the original coil i.e. spades
labelled SW (SWitch or ignition supply) and CB (Contact Breaker or points)
then some say you need to reverse that, but it's marginal.  Not only that it
only makes a marginal difference to the spark, but by reversing it to get a
fractionally better spark by retaining the original HT polarity, you reduce
the auto-transformer effect which fractionally reduces it again.  Whilst it
can make a difference to very early low voltage coil ignition systems, the
effect on ours is minimal.  If you were really bothered about it then you
could fit a negative earth coil i.e. one with + and - markings instead of SW
and CB.

The order of parts on the threaded stud is:
1. Insulating washer, with the step facing upwards.
2. Points spring, seated over the step in 1.
3. Condenser and coil wires, in either order.
4. Second insulating washer, step facing down, and located in the holes in
the condenser and coil wire terminals, and the points spring.
5. Nut.

If you still have no spark, then with the ignition on, manually open and
close the points.

With the points open you should have 12v on both coil terminals and the
junction of the points spring, condenser and coil wires in the distributor.

With the points closed you should still have 12v on the coil terminal that
has the white wire on, i.e. the ignition supply, but zero volts i.e. an
earth on the other coil terminal and the junction mention above.

If you don't have that, come back with what you do have, rather than me
going through all the possible options you could have and the likely causes.

Bear in mind that new components, especially ignition components from many
sources, are poor quality these days and can be faulty on receipt or fail
very quickly.