[Mgs] Looking for 6V batteries for MGA

David Councill dcouncill at karamursel.org
Wed Jul 3 07:32:16 MDT 2013

Interesting. I do get an occasional blank message which I would attribute to
user error - like prematurely hitting the send button. But in this case, it
is my email which should have had text. Perhaps the mailman mechanism strips
out text due to some formatting problems. Typically, I use Outlook and have
it set to use raw text but some emails, like this last one, was sent through
a godaddy webmail session (as I am using their email through a hosted
domain). Jay might be able to tell as the email went to him as well as
separately to the list. But here was what I sent:

---

The source is not the problem as a lot of battery vendors still sell them.
The problem I found is that the price has gone up considerably and my normal
battery vendors no longer stock them and have to order them. And some, like
NAPA, no longer sell the correct size 6 volt battery, substituting with the
slightly larger 6 volt battery used in older VW Bugs.

What you want to do is request the 17HF battery (MGB, I am assuming the MGA
also uses the same size). The 19L battery, as used by the VW Bugs also fits
but fits snug in the box so is harder to pull out if it doesn't have a
battery strap attached.

I finally ended up going to a single 12V battery (size 24) to fit in one of
the battery boxes. I thought the dual 6V batteries were a better setup for
cold weather starts but last time I needed to get the 6 volt batteries, I
was quoted something like $90 USD per 17HF battery whereas a single high CCA
12 volt battery was more like $70. So I went cheap.

David Councill
64 B
67 BGT
72 B