[Mgs] ZDDP (Again)??!!??

Paul Osborne paul at ece.rochester.edu
Tue Jan 29 16:46:10 MST 2013

Ok, here we go . I'm going to be the wrench in the works. 6 years ago I fully
rebuilt an 18V engine and placed it service in my 74 BGT. This is a daily
driver, no show car here , nice but a driver.
The clock reads 72000miles. since that time I have done the regular maintance
, a set of brakes and tires . Now I drive about 500miles to my cottage all
most 3 times a month from may to oct.
I use Quakerstate 20w50 oil.    only     I have noticed nothing but running
well.    My opinion,  may there is a need for this additive, maybe it may
help, but I owen and have owen 5 mgs . my GT
I bought new, and I see no adverse problems with the oil I use in my cars.

Oh well.

paul o
On Jan 29, 2013, at 2:24 PM, Charley & Peggy Robinson wrote:

> You guys are getting me so worried that I may never start my B up again.
Maybe I'll just bronze the thing. :-)

> CR
> On 1/29/2013 3:01 AM, PaulHunt73 wrote:
>> My thoughts exactly ever since I started looking into this about four years
ago, which is why I just don't trust it. Castrol GTX even though sold under
it's original API spec only seems to contain half the zinc and phosphorus it
did originally. I've seen a letter purporting to be from Royal Purple stating
that RP XPR 10W40 has over 1500-1600 ppm of ZDDP and goes on to say "we could
take all of the ZDDP out of our engine oils and still have 4 times the wear
resistance of even the VR-1 oil due to our Synerlec additive technology".  It
which point the whole thing degenerates into farce.  What was apparent when I
was looking is that Diesel oils, if they had a petrol API rating as well as a
Diesel, contained more ZDDP than oils with only that petrol rating, but that
was also under review.  In the UK I use Comma Sonic which is to API SL but has
.2% zinc and .19% phosphorus
http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/file/367670c3e9a411571893883585a71863