[Mgs] ZDDP (Again)

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Tue Jan 29 02:01:29 MST 2013

My thoughts exactly ever since I started looking into this about four years
ago, which is why I just don't trust it.  Castrol GTX even though sold under
it's original API spec only seems to contain half the zinc and phosphorus it
did originally.  I've seen a letter purporting to be from Royal Purple
stating that RP XPR 10W40 has over 1500-1600 ppm of ZDDP and goes on to say
"we could take all of the ZDDP out of our engine oils and still have 4 times
the wear resistance of even the VR-1 oil due to our Synerlec additive
technology".  It which point the whole thing degenerates into farce.  What
was apparent when I was looking is that Diesel oils, if they had a petrol
API rating as well as a Diesel, contained more ZDDP than oils with only that
petrol rating, but that was also under review.  In the UK I use Comma Sonic
which is to API SL but has .2% zinc and .19% phosphorus
http://www.commaoil.com/productsguide/file/367670c3e9a411571893883585a71863