[Mgs] mgb connecting rods

Charley & Peggy Robinson ccrobins at ktc.com
Tue Aug 20 09:20:17 MDT 2013

When I built the last one I took the new overbore pistons, old rods,
block, crank & flywheel  to a machine shop in south San Antonio that had
a good rep in the performance fraternity of south TX. Those guys knew
just what I wanted.  I was surprised that the rods didn't need
re-sizing.  The rods were well matched in weights; after all, they were
a set in a apparently factory-built 18GB engine.  So I got the block
boiled out and bored (didn't need line-boring) to match the pistons, new
cam bearings, re-surface the flywheel and "balance the mess." :-) I made
several trips down there during this process, a 150 mile round trip,
with stop-offs for Tex-Mex food, etc.  Took everything home and started
putting it all together.  I had a great time during this project and it
worked out well.

BTW, I got most of my parts from George Merryweather of Classic
Restorations, a Moss Motors drop shipper.  He had great prices!   I knew
him from NAMGBR, met him at the annual MG GoF at Salado, TX. Anybody
remember him?  I wonder how he's getting along.

CR