[Mgs] Starter rebuild...

Rick Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Tue Aug 6 15:00:58 MDT 2013

Hi Friends,

My '53 TD's M35G starter rebuild is almost complete. B Everything is clean and lubricated, where appropriate. B Bushes are just fine, oil soaked and their journals are smooth.

What I did discover is that the brass terminal post is not soldered to the field windings! B The two flat conductors from the field, were just pinched into the slot in the inner end of the post. B They were quite grimey at the contact point, so they've been like this for quite a while.

Reviewing the workshop manual today, I see that the flat conductors should be (apparently) soldered to the post. B Can you verify that is correct? B Considering the current drawn, I can't imagine that a simple press-fit connection is valid - but I could be wrong. B Your thoughts?

-rick

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy SIII - the rectangle with rounded corners, just like a BlackBerry.