[Mgs] Bother...

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Thu Apr 4 01:54:42 MDT 2013

Exactly my thoughts when I had to re-replace one last year just a week
before the first run on the season - only 12 years.  I got two slaves
complete though, just changing the faulty one.  Bleeding only took a couple
of minutes, but then it is a single line system.  Biggest problem was not
being able to turn the brake pipe nut without the pipe going with it, so I
unscrewed the slave from the pipe and screwed the new one on, fortunately
the thread starts were compatible.  Later in the year found the V8 clutch
slave leaking after only 13 years.  Examining both I was struck by how easy
it was to push the piston with it's seal into the bore, and there was no
visible wear on the lips of the seals.  I can remember many years ago it's
been a bit of a struggle to get new seals in, and the old seals have shown
obvious wear.  Conclusion?  Current seals are too small and take very little
wear before they give up, possibly metric rubber in Imperial bores!