[Mgs] More TD work, a.k.a. First day of retirement

Richard Lindsay richardolindsay at gmail.com
Mon Apr 1 14:29:38 MDT 2013

Its the first day of my retirement and...wait for it...YES!  I got a
call this afternoon from the company asking about some data I
processed!  No escape!  However, I have had a good day in the garage.
Story follows;

A couple of days ago I wrote to you stating that I would probably
rebuild the '53 TD's fuel pump rather than replacing it - and that is
what I have done.  Here's how the pump looked on the car.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1030.JPG

Here's how it looked on the bench with the filter and the fuel chamber removed.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1041.JPG

Here's a look at the non-return valve before any cleanup.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1042.JPG

Here are the valve parts (almost) ready for reassembly.  I say almost
because the valve disks still need to be cleaned.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1043.JPG

And here's the pump reassembled with new gaskets, the contacts
burnished, and tested.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1044.JPG

It runs great and looks nice.

>From there I moved on to the next component to rebuild; the starter
switch.  Here's how it looked while still on the car.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1050.JPG

Same switch on the bench, awaiting cleanup.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1051.JPG

Some fuel pump debris is still on the bench.  All has since been
cleaned up.  Here's a look at the switch, now cleaned up, refinished
and tested.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1054.JPG

And finally, a look back at the car with the parts removed.  This
picture is my guide as to the correct placement / orientation of the
various mounting brackets.

http://www.aubard.us/MGTD/HPIM1053.JPG

And that's it for now.  I like sharing the work and I know some of you
probably enjoy seeing the progress.  Please feel free to just hit
'delete' is uninterested.

With kind regards,

-rick