[Mgs] Don Hayter interview and book

Don don at napanet.net
Mon Oct 22 00:44:29 MDT 2012

There is a new book out by Don Hayter, the designer of the MGB.  The
publishing company did a short interview of him which is quite
interesting for anyone who is a friend of the marque.  I haven't got
a copy of the book, but will probably buy one being a great admirer
of the MGB design.  I still remember the first time I saw a new '63
MGB on display at a county fair when I was a lad and how impressed I
was by its beautiful lines.

Don Hayter was educated at Abingdon School, Oxford, winning the
Bennett Scholarship to Pembroke College. With the outbreak of WWII he
decided to take an apprenticeship in aircraft design at the Pressed
Steel Company, Cowley. Attending Oxford Technical College, and
attaining a Higher National Certificate in Metallurgy and
Engineering, he worked at various aircraft manufacturers, before
moving into the car industry after the war. Working on many cars,
including the MG Magnette, in 1954 he moved to Aston Martin, working
on the design for the DB2/4 and the Lagonda, before moving back to
MG's Design & Development department. Promoted to Chief Design &
Development Engineer in 1973, he was responsible for the design of
the MGB body, and stayed with MG until the closure of its factory in
1980. Don remains passionately enthusiastic about this iconic car,
and still runs one himself today.

link to interview:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq7d7G1zQws

link to purchase the book: