[Mgs] MGA 180 out Distributor Mystery

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sun Oct 21 04:19:34 MDT 2012

As the points weren't opening on the original distributor, that was the
original problem.  You then fitted several distributors.  If you didn't
remove the plug leads from either the plugs or the original cap (did you
reuse that with each of the replacement distributors?) then the assembly of
the rotor and the drive shaft of the original distributor was 180 degrees
different to the others you tried.

Whether it is right now or not is another matter.  Static timing with the
pulley mark by the appropriate pointer will show the points opening when
No.1 *or* No.4 pistons are at TDC, but only one of those will be on its
*compression* stroke.  You determine that by removing the plug from No.1
cylinder, putting your thumb over the hole, and turning the engine until
compression pushes your thumb off, then turn to TDC.  If the rotor is now
pointing to about 2 o'clock, then either drive gear and distributor assembly
are both correct, or both 180 degrees out.  If it's pointing to about 8
o'clock then one or other is 180 degrees out.  Whether it is worth doing
anything about it is another matter.