[Mgs] MGA 180 out Distributor Mystery

Robert J. Guinness guinness at stclegal.com
Sat Oct 20 19:25:10 MDT 2012

I have an MGA 1600 with an MGB 1800 3 main engine and a DM2 distributor
from the original 1600 engine.  It was missing badly when I parked it.
Then I could not start it at all and had mammoth backfires out the
tailpipe. Two sets of newly installed points would not open when fully
adjusted out.  A club member suggested that the distributor bearing was
wearing out. I took the 1800's original 25D distributor and base clamp
and installed it.  Static timed it with the rotor pointing to the #1
wire, but same result.  Getting good gas flow to carbs.  Compression all
between 110 and 120.  Spark plugs had velvety black soot. I got used
another DM2 with the same result.  I installed a new Lucas 25D, same
result. Then I switched the wires replacing #1 with #4 and # 2 and # 3
figuring it was 180 out.  Bingo, it purred like a kitten.  Mystery.  How
could the distributor drive gear get 180 out when I never touched it?  I
had replace the points twice before by taking the distributor out and
static timing it with the rotor at the #1 plug.  I am flummoxed. Any clues?
--
e-mail signature Robert Guinness
Guinness & Buehler, LLC

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE:
This e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may be protected by
legal privilege. If you are not the intended recipient, be aware that
any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail or any
attachment is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
please notify us immediately by returning it to the sender and delete
this copy from your system.

The Missouri Bar Disciplinary Counsel also requires all Missouri lawyers
to notify all recipients of e-mail that (1) e-mail communications is not
a secure method of communication, (2) any e-mail that is sent to you or
by you may be copied and held by various computers it passes through as
it goes from sender to recipient, (3) persons not participating in our
communication may intercept our communications by improperly accessing
your computer or my computer or even some computer unconnected to either
of us which the e-mail passes through.  I am communicating to you via
e-mail because you have consented to receive communications via this
medium.  If you change your mind and want future communications to be
sent in a different fashion, please contact me AT ONCE.

Thank you for your cooperation.