[Mgs] Successor of MGTF?

David Breneman david_breneman at yahoo.com
Fri May 4 14:01:03 MDT 2012

> Particularly in the case of a restoration that may take some
> years you
wouldn't want to tax (in the case of cars built after 1972) and
> insure a
vehicle that wasn't going to be used for some time, and if you just
> stop
taxing or insuring a vehicle without declaring SORN you get fined.
Interesting.  Here (state of Washington, USA) you just don't renew
the license
tabs.  It stays in the state's computers for something
like 10 years.  When
you're ready to put it on the road you go in
to the County Auditor's office
and get new tabs.  If it's not in
the computer anymore, you have to present
the title or some other
physical proof of ownership. Tabs are renewed one year
at a time,
so there's no way to save anything for taking the car off the road
for anything less than a year.

>   If the restorer trailers the car anywhere
at any time, and one of the
> number plates is still on the car, it can be
picked up by an Automatic Number
> Plate Recognition camera, and the owner
gets fined for using a car on the road
> that he has declared as SORN.
Saying it was on a trailer at the time gets you
> nowhere.

Now THERE'S a
scam our money-grubbers haven't thought of yet!  If
the car isn't traveling
under its own power, it doesn't need
current plates.  But you guys have a lot
more spy cameras than
we do.  I'm sure we're catching up, however.