[Mgs] Ref: [.A.ustin-.H.ealey Sports & Touring Club] Took the engine and gearbox out to investigate...

Mike Eldred redscirocco at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 20 09:11:01 MDT 2012

I don't have any way to share the photo it with the group, but here's what I
found in my '73 Midget after I pulled the engine - a broken thrust bearing
with no bearing material left and a piece that had broken off the pressure
plate. The DPO, who had the car "fixed up" with duct tape, crimp connectors,
jump wires, epoxy, tub and tile calk, wood screws, eye hooks, and other
assorted home repair hardware, had been driving it like this.  I suspect that
the piece that had broken off pressure plate spring levers was acting as the
thrust bearing, and that's how he managed to drive it.  The sound when
stepping on the clutch, I recall from when I picked up the car, was like the
wailing of a thousand banshees.
This car, which was never meant to be anything more than a driver, has been a
nightmare of reversing several previous owners' botched repairs.
-Mike EldredWilmington, VT

Sprite-MidgetClub at yahoogroups.com; bugeye at yahoogroups.com
> Subject: [Mgs] Ref: [.A.ustin-.H.ealey Sports & Touring Club] Took the
engine and gearbox out to investigate...

> Somethings ya just GOTTA do fer yerself <sigh> <G> !!
>
> http://www.justbrits.com/Articles/TO_01.jpg
>
> Me

[demime 1.01d removed an attachment of type image/jpeg]