[Mgs] Battery/Alternator question (Non-MG)

PaulHunt73 paulhunt73 at virginmedia.com
Sun Jun 24 04:27:33 MDT 2012

Could be all sorts.  Measuring the voltage of a battery off-load doesn't
really tell you much, although 12 plus immediately after a failed crank
actually indicates the battery is probably OK, although it could be
intermittent.  If it happens again put the meter on the battery posts (not
the clamps) while trying to crank, then on the clamps, then on the body and
the starter solenoid stud, then on the engine block and the solenoid stud.
If any of them show very low voltage then the problem lies back towards the
battery.  If the battery posts show that then the battery *is* knackered.
Wherever you see 12v or nearly so the problem lies forwards to the starter.
If you see 12v on the block and the solenoid stud then the problem is in the
solenoid or starter.  If you see 12v at one test point, but very low voltage
at the next, then the fault lies between them.

Remember you are testing two connections each time, so if, for example, the
battery posts are OK but the clamps aren't then it could be either of the
clamps, so you need to test between one post and the other clamp, then the
other way round to see which clamp is at fault.  Or simply take both off and
clean them.

This isn't exhaustive, there could be a bad connection between the earth
cable and either the clamp or the lug, ditto the battery cable.  You could
also have more than one fault.