[Mgs] Fuel Tank Sender unit replacement

Charley & Peggy Robinson ccrobins at ktc.com
Mon Jul 30 07:51:13 MDT 2012

Yep, I replaced the s-unit in my '69 B a couple of months ago, had the
same problem.  It's a good idea to have a new locking ring on hand as
you may destroy the old one getting it out if it's really stubborn; also
a new gasket.  I squirted penetrating oil around the ring, tapped the
ring with a punch & hammer to unseat it in the flange, squirted more oil
on it and left it overnight.  The next morning I started tapping it out
CCW.  Just had to keep worrying, it tapping on each prong.  You have to
keep your punch down toward the bottom of the prongs.  If the prongs
bend or shear off, don't despair.  They are just the extension of an
inclined flange bent into the ring.  You can get at the bottom of the
bend with a smaller punch or a small blunt chisel.  Get a new ring and
you'll see what I mean.  The only thing holding it all together is friction.

CR