[Mgs] hot idle troubles

Aaron Whiteman awhitema at panix.com
Sat Jul 7 14:19:05 MDT 2012

Now that the Winter that Would Not End has ended and Eastern Washington is
seeing close to normal temps, I'm seeing some trouble with my car's idle.

'75 MGB, retrofitted with SU HIF4 from a '73; carbs recently serviced by
Brooklands British of Tacoma to fix a vacuum leak in the throttle bushings.

Start up car, drive for 8 miles.  Every thing is good, traffic lights
irritating to driver, but car runs normally.
Stop to pick up some stuff.  Rest for a few minutes.
Get back in car, drive to end of block, reach stop sign, car dies.
.. car dies at all stops for the next few miles unless I give extra throttle.
Drive 8 miles back home, all is good again.
Stop for coffee.
Get back in car, car dies at intersections once again.

When it doesn't die, idle tickover is about 750rpm

Otherwise it is running strongly, temp gauge reads dead center normal (I
didn't confirm head temps with my infrared thermometer this time, but past
checks indicate this is about 190 degrees), oil pressure normal at around
30psi at idle (65-75psi at speed).

Is this something I just need to live with, or is there an easy fix that I'm
overlooking?

--
Aaron