[Mgs] engine noise

Paul Hunt paul.hunt1 at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Jan 9 02:00:41 MST 2012

Whereabouts is it coming from?  Have you used a listening tube over the
engine to try and narrow it down?  Removed the oil filler cap and listened
there?  Does it change with revs or load?  Temperature?  How do you adjust
the valves?  If you use the rule of nine both my engine and a pals have some
valves that don't have their biggest gap at the adjustment point, but some
way either side of that.  Adjusting at the point of biggest gap did quieten
mine a little.  But there is still and always has been what sounds like one
heavy tappet - constant noise with different load, just speeds and slows
with revs.  I've had all the valve gear off except the cam out and haven't
been able to find anything wrong, including the shaft loose in its bearings.
It's been doing that for 22 years and 50k so it's just 'an undocumented
feature'.